Jan 3, 2010

The New Year begins, but lets not forget the old

As 2009 has come to a close and we start 2010 let us not forget the past year.

We have had our highs and lows but in New Year fashion lets just focus on the highs.
I think one of the things I'm most proud of is that to finish off 2009, in our race kennel we had just one pet waiting on adoption. Of course I would love to take credit but all credit is due to the wonderful adoption groups we work with.
Without them, we couldn't do what we do. So for the this New Year please think about making a donation to a greyhound adoption group. Times are tight for everyone and especially these groups.
With many tracks closing this past year and with returns hitting an all time high, I'm sure they can use the help.

Now on to the above photo. To finish out our 2009 we moved 2 hounds. One, Crazy Boybob, to GPA-Nashville and the above boy, My Artful Dodger, directly into his forever home.

These boys were transported on Dec 21, when I was making a trip to Connecticut to visit family and friends for the holidays.
Doggie Dodger was along for almost the whole ride and I can't tell you what a joy he was to travel with.

Dodger has been a long time resident of our kennel and it was bitter sweet to move him on to his retirement home.

On the home front, we ended out the year on a very sad note. One of our hounds, Augie Dogie, became sick while I was away. On Dec 29th, we made the heart wrenching decision to allow Augie to pass, with out me by his side.
I want to say, THANK GOD for Kevin. He stayed with Augie and hugged and kissed him for me, whispered the words of goodbyes for me and sent Augie upon his next great journey.
Sometimes people think, we are just kennel people, that these hounds don't have the profound effect on us that they do just greyhound adopters.
Nothing could be further from the truth. My heart breaks for each and every hound who has never learned about home life. For those that just might not have good owners that care as much as we do in Team Greyhound. And by Team Greyhound I don't just mean, me and Kevin. I mean ALL of Team Greyhound, each and everyone of our owners I feel has that same strong bond and love for these hounds.

So for the year 2010 I wish that every greyhound owner out there learns the love and devotion these greyhounds posses. It will change your life if you allow it to.

May each and everyone of you have a Happy and Joyous New Year, with less hurt and more celebrations. Life really is too short and we all need to embrace each and every day we are allowed to walk this earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment